the 66 books

Monday, January 31, 2005

Long time no post

Remember me? Sorry for the lack of posting. My conscience applied a tough love slap to my wrist, so I thought I better write something before falling asleep tonight. After falling behind in the reading schedule over the last week, I enjoyed the unexpected consequence today; getting to read almost all of 1 Samuel while flying from Chicago Midway to Philly International this morning. I'm really diggin the history books this time around. Saul taking a leak in a cave, David drooling all over himself pretending to be insane. But the best quote of the 66 books so far has to be David's response to a priest asking about the sexual purity of his men in chapter 21 verse 5:

The men's things are holy even on missions that are not holy.


I'm sure it's just a coincidence that this happened in a town called Nob.

On a much less phallic note...

I'm sure I've mentioned a book I recently read called "Saved From What". The book's premise is that we're saved by God, from God. Much like my brutha Jonas, I was struck today by the utter destruction God demanded. Israel's enemies were far from welcome on their soil. Saul made it about 6 chapters before provoking God's wrath by not killing every Amalekite God had turned over to him. Later David earned God's favor because "when he attacked an area, he did not leave a man or woman alive".

It's hard to comment on that. Is it a prophecy? Is God really going to come back and do that very same thing one last time? That reality is so serious and so final it upsets my stomach a bit. Do we know and love people who aren't going to make it? Are WE part of the people who aren't going to make it? I'm so glad to be reading this having already read Romans and knowing that

the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.


and maybe this day that is coming was part of the reason that Paul was


so eager to preach the gospel... because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes


After reading 1 Samuel today, I find myself a little more eager to preach the gospel today too.

2 Comments:

  • Preach it brother.

    Chew on some Colossians today with me (1:29): "For this I toil, striving with all the energy that He mightily inspires in me."

    God saving us from Himself. Okay. Seems accurate. I become a new being in Him thanks to Him and His grace and His mercy and His kindness by getting His Truth my way as He promises. And then I (not really "I" but He that lives in me, hence Himself) go preaching TRUTH and LIFE and THE WAY in efforts to give LIFE to even mo folk (from, yup, Himself, He that can take life away and give life).

    Pulpit this:
    Throw away them carrots and radishes, folks, and chew on the ROOT OF DAVID!!!

    By Blogger drshazzmonds, at February 1, 2005 at 8:40 AM  

  • Good comments T-Doo. Can I just have my armor-bearer consult the ephod and the stuff on it (the gems or whatever they are), check with my favorite prophets, take a snooze to catch a dream or vision or two and then get back with you on that....or do I have to rely on the Spirit in this 'ending age' for such answers?
    ;-)

    By Blogger drshazzmonds, at February 1, 2005 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home