As I Was Going to St. Ives
Kits, Cats, Sacks, and St. Ives -
What's up with David having many wives?
Slaughtering thousands and thousands, even the women and children in many cases so as to not get ratted out, is one thing. I'm okay with that cuz God Himself does that (through David even I figure). I'm a little 'rusty' on the cultural 'multiple wives thing' of the day. Did the Mosaic law or 'man of Godness' characteristic not speak to that sort of thing yet? Somebody help the only (useless) American History minor out here please.
I know...it ain't about what I see, hear, or feel (as the faith is firmly affixed for Other Reasons). And, I also know that curiosity killed the cat. What can I say though, this Samuel reading has me thinking that 'killing' is aok at times (tongue in cheek for sure). Kill the cat for me please.
1 Comments:
I was wonderin the same thing. I remember hearing a sermon once (and if someone was preaching they must have known more than me) about a dude named Lamech. He was the first recorded male chauvenist AND polygemist. The point of the sermon wasn't really to bad mouth Lamech, but to point out how quick we are to judge biblical characters. The preacher hypothesized that Lamech only had sex with 2 people in his life (sadly that's probably less than many of the people reading this weblog), but at least he had the decency to marry and care for both. Things that make you go hmmmm...
Wish I had some clarity about the David thing too. Sometimes makes me consider reading Josephus or something.
By
eric, at January 31, 2005 at 10:29 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home